|
8. The Suppression of the Monasteries
In Bristol three monastic houses came within the terms of the Act, but
St James's Priory escaped closure because it was a subsidiary of the large
and wealthy monastery at Tewkesbury. St Mark's Hospital also survived
because it claimed exemption as an almshouse, even though it had been
visited as a monastery by Richard Layton in 1535. Only the tiny nunnery
of St Mary Magdalen at the foot of St Michael's Hill was closed by the
Act. There were only two nuns, one very old and the other a novice, with
a manservant and a woman laundress. Like all the other suppressed houses,
the buildings, property and income of this nunnery were confiscated by
the Crown. A new government department, the Court of Augmentations, was
set up to deal with all the new wealth coming to the Crown, and local
commissioners were appointed to supervise the closures and sale of property.
In Bristol the commissioners were two prominent merchants, Thomas White
and Nicholas Thorne. They reported that the two nuns at St Mary Magdalen
were by report of honest conversation, whereof one [is] professed
being impotent and aged, the other a young novice desiring continuance
in religion'. The nunnery was not in debt, but the house and its contents
were very poor. The nuns were expelled and their fate is unknown. The
servants were dismissed, and in 1537 the house was turned into a private
dwelling and leased to Dame Joan Guildeford, widow, for 21 years. (Public
Record Office, SC 12/33/37; Letters & Papers, Henry VIII, XI, 307).
Having secured a large increase in the wealth of the Crown from the suppression
of the smaller monasteries, Cromwell now turned his attention to the friaries
and to the far greater prize of the larger monasteries.
The Suppression of the Bristol Friaries
The four orders of friars in Bristol had little wealth and scarcely any
property except their churches and friaries, as they were forbidden to
possess lands. They were, however, powerful preachers and continuing small
bequests in wills show that they remained popular. The task of persuading'
the friars throughout the country to give up their way of life and voluntarily'
to surrender their houses to the Crown was entrusted to Richard Ingworth,
who had been a Dominican friar. He arrived in Bristol in July 1538. The
Bristol Carmelites, whose friary stood near the site of the present Colston
Hall, surrendered easily. They were heavily in debt, and their prior had
fled, taking most of the valuables with him.
Suppression of the Carmelite Friars of Bristol , July 1538.
Memorandum this 28th day of July in the 30th year of King Henry
VIII, Richard, bishop of Dover and visitor for the King's Grace being
in Bristol, Brought before the mayor there iiii friars late of the White
Friars there, which confessed before the said mayor that they voluntarily
did leave their house in Bristol because they perceived that they before
had divers priors the which had sold and plundered al the jewels and
substance with the other ornaments and stuff of the house, and yet left
them in debt and no thing to live with, and considering that the charity
of the people is very small so that they cannot see how to continue
and live in their house, wherefore voluntarily they give their house
into the visitor's hands to the King's use. They also confessed that
the said visitor had given to them all their own chambers and all the
books of the choir and divers other small implements and each of them
a letter and 20d in their purses to bring them to their country, and
gave them certain times to visit their friends, and so he hath with
ii honest men of the town praised all the moveables and paid the charges
and old debts and made a perfect inventory of the stuff that is left,
the custody of it with the house in the hands of John Mercke.
Thomas Clifton sub-prior
Thomas Wraxall
Simon Wagon als Vagan
John Hooper
Richard, Bishop of Dover's description of the Bristol Carmelite Friary,
July 1538
The White Friars in Bristol, the which all that was in it is little
more than paid the debts. It is a goodly house in building, meet for
a great man, no rents but their gardens. There is a chapel and an aisle
of the church, and divers gutters, spouts and conduits of lead, the
rest all tile and slate. A goodly laver and conduit coming to it. This
house was in debt above £16, of the which paid £8, the rest
discharged by pledges.
(Sources: T. Wright, Letters, Camden Society, 26, 1843, 202-3; G.E. Weare,
Collectanea, Bristol, 74-75.).
Illustration of Sir John Young's Great House'
built on the site from margin of Millerd's map
The three other Bristol friaries were unwilling to surrender, and Ingworth
reported that they were stiff' in opposition. Finally, on 10 September
1538 they succumbed to pressure and all agreed to surrender. The number
of friars in each house at the time of their suppression was as follows:
| Friary |
Situation |
Number of Friars |
| Carmelites (White Friars) |
On site of presentColston Hall |
4 |
| Franciscans (Friars Minor orGrey Friars) |
Lewins Mead |
6
|
| Dominicans (Black Friars) |
Broad Mead |
5 |
| Augustinians (Austin Friars) |
Temple Gate |
8 |
The Final Suppression
During the years 1537-39 the remaining monastic houses throughout the
country had been under pressure from Cromwell's commissioners to surrender
voluntarily' into the hands of the Crown. In return the monks and nuns
were promised pensions and favourable treatment. Many accepted the generous
terms offered and gave up the religious life, but in Bristol the two houses
of St Augustine and St Mark held out until December 1539, while St James
did not surrender until January 1540.
Remarkably, although throughout the country monasteries were surrendering
and the religious communities were being dissolved, at St Augustine's
a new abbot was elected on 24 August 1539. Abbot William Burton, who had
been in office since 1525 died in July, and a month later his successor,
Morgan Gwilliam, was chosen as abbot. He had previously been the prior.
Three months later, on 9 December 1539, the new abbot and eleven canons
surrendered the house to the royal commissioners and were awarded pensions.
The abbot received the generous pension of £80 per annum, as well
as the abbey's manor house at Abbots Leigh. The canons' pensions ranged
from £8 to £6 per annum according to seniority, and each received
an additional gift of £2 as an extra inducement to surrender. The
forty-six servants employed by the abbey were given their wages and dismissed.
The list of possessions of the abbey reveals its wealth and splendour:
126 tons of lead on the roofs.
Ten bells in the tower.
526 ounces of silver plate.
Mitres garnished with silver gilt, ragged pearls and counterfeit
stones'.
Certain garnishing of vestments of silver gilt duameld and set
with small pearls'.
Ornaments, goods and chattels sold for £103
13s 7d.
(L & P Henry VIII, XIV (ii), 660)
On the same day, 9 December 1539, the royal commissioners received the
surrender of St Mark's or the Gaunts Hospital. The master, John Coleman,
received a pension of £40 per annum, and three priests were awarded
£8 0s 0d, £6 13s 4d, and £6 0s 0d per annum respectively.
In addition a total of £10 9s 4d was paid to sixteen men, children,
choristers and servants, all of whom were dismissed and evicted from the
hospital. In May 1541 the site and much of the property of St Mark's,
together with other monastic property in Bristol and Somerset were purchased
from the Crown by the mayor and corporation of Bristol. This far-sighted
purchase meant that for the future Bristol enjoyed a substantial annual
income from rents; it also meant that St Mark's church became the Lord
Mayor's Chapel.
Interior of St Mark's
St James's Priory held out until 9 January 1540. This was because it
was a subsidiary to Tewkesbury Abbey which was one of the last west-country
houses to be suppressed. The prior, Robert Cicestre, and two monks of
St James's priory were granted pensions by the Crown. It seems likely
that they had anticipated the closure, since much of the property had
been leased to a royal official, Anthony Kingston. The chancel of the
monastic church and the buildings were rapidly demolished, but the nave
survived because since 1374 it had been used as a parish church. When
John Leland visited the site of St James's Priory early in the 1540s most
of the buildings were already ruinous. He wrote that, It standeth by Brode
meade by northe from the Castle on a hilly ground, and the ruins of it
standeth hard buttynge to the easte ende of the paroche churche. This
St James was a cell to Tewkesberye'.
The large churches belonging to the friaries were also rapidly destroyed.
The new owners, who had bought these buildings from the Crown, sought
to recoup their outlay by selling the lead from the roofs, the cut stone
and the tiles for building work, so that the once-splendid buildings very
quickly became ruins. The churchwardens' accounts of Bristol parish churches
show that they used the former religious houses as convenient sources
of building materials, especially during the reign of Queen Mary, when
they were required to replace so many of the furnishings which had been
destroyed during the previous reign. (J.H. Bettey, Bristol Parish Churches
during the Reformation, Bristol Historical Association, 1979; L &
P Henry VIII, XIII, 322).
St James's Priory
Many former monks secured positions as parish priests or curates; some
became chantry priests until the chantries were dissolved in 1547. For
example, of the eleven former canons of St Augustine's, Bristol, five
became parish priests, three were curates, two served as chantry priests,
and the abbot, accompanied by one canon, departed with his pension of
£80 to live on the Isle of Wight. The younger and more energetic
monks may have welcomed the opportunity to escape from the narrow confines
of the cloister. For the older monks and nuns, moulded by a lifetime of
ordered monastic routine, the dissolution must have appeared as a disaster.
NEXT
|